Friday, August 27, 2010

Hearing God

I've been practicing listening to God lately, or at least trying to, and I am amazed at the subtlety and flow of his voice. Of particular note is when he told me Stacy was going to get pregnant last November when I was in DC. My friend Laurie was talking about her miracle baby, and I looked over at Stacy and just knew she was next. It wasn't a prophetic word as we might be used to. I had no intention of sharing it with anyone, and I don't really know why I got it, but when I got an e-mail a month later from Stacy asking me to ring her, I was pretty sure I knew what she was going to say. I've spent the last nine months praying for this little miracle, and yesterday I had the strangest feeling that I was missing the birth, but then I remembered she wasn't actually scheduled for her c-section for five more days, so I relaxed. But my husband came rushing into our room this morning to say baby Stav had arrived. Strange. I don't know what it's for, and maybe it is all a big coincidence and my hopes just happening to come true, but what it makes me feel is that God knows how much I miss my friends, and he's connecting me to them and reminding me that though the world is vast, he's holding us together.

2 comments:

Mrs. said...

what? this is the first i have heard. what great news!!

Mike Stavlund said...

The 'friend' side of me thanks you for this beautiful post. You didn't waste a syllable, Greta. Lovely.

The 'competitor' side of me, who took a bet with you about blogging, is smarting about it, though. This trumps anything I've written in the last month, and you *know* it, and you *waited* until the last minute (which you knew, by divine insight, no less!) to post it. You're sitting over there gloating about it, too, I'm sure. I will get you for this, Greta!