Monday, March 12, 2007

A good word

I love the word "cheeky". It's such a British word, and it has so many different uses. For example:

When Tim uses the bath salts that he bought for ME in America, that's pretty cheeky of him.
And when I say to Addien "come here" she looks at me, starts laughing, says "cheeky!" and runs away, letting me know that she's being cheeky.
When Cerys talks back to me I say, "Don't be so cheeky."
And when she says something particularly precocious I say, "You cheeky monkey."
If I'm going to ask for a particularly big favor or ask something that may be considered a little too personal I'll say, "I have a cheeky question."

If I ever move back to America I'm definitely going to introduce it into the American language.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure Cheeky will catch on here...but I sure hope you come home soon to give it a try!!!

kate said...

It reminds me of Mike Myers' Saturday Night Live sketch wherein he sat in the bathtub and sang, "Well, you know my name is Simon, and I likes to do draw-rings." He said 'cheeky monkey' occasionally.
It does seem a highly useful -- and cute! -- word. I applaud your plan of introduction.

timthewelsh said...

It's actually more British than most people realise (or realize, for thoze who have trubble spelling properlee).

During the early 1800's, the Earl of Chequer (who owned several square miles of land in Derbyshire) was notoriously mischievous, continually playing tricks on the tenants of his property. On one occasion he was said to have sawn in half a peasant's entire house, while he and his family slept. By the time they awoke, he'd moved one half of the house on one side of the local river, and the half other on the other side. It was his continual pranking that gave rise to the term 'Chequey', which soon evolved into 'Cheeky'. Not a lot of people know this fact.

Anonymous said...

I love the word "cheeky." I'm definitely going to try and start a "cheeky" fad here:)

Anonymous said...

Good words.