Sunday, June 22, 2008

Practicing the Presence

Have finally started reading this book. Love it.

I have been praying for the last several months for God to make me aware of his presence in my everyday activities. Pleadingly I have told him that I need him to meet me at the kitchen sink, because that seems to be where I spend most of my time. I don't have the luxury of spending hours in prayer and meditation, nor do I have the energy to go out to prayer meetings and worship events in the evenings, so I need God to meet me while I change nappies, wash dishes, peel potatoes, and read stories. After my last day away at Turvey Abbey I went to church in the evening, having spent the day writing in my journal about this issue. Simon, the lead elder at our church, came and prayed for me. Not knowing the journey I've been on, he said, "Greta, I've sensed this before and haven't said anything, but I sense the anointing of Brother Lawrence on you. The presence of God was with him as he peeled potatoes in the kitchens, and his brothers had to make him go to the prayer closet--he didn't ever want to because he said he met with God just as well, if not better, whilst doing his chores." I laid on the floor and wept for about half an hour. The presence of God was on me in a way I haven't experienced before, and I felt, perhaps for the first time, not only the deep love of God for me, but the deep interest he has in my heart's desires. As I lay there, I knew that God had heard my secret prayers, and was delighted to answer them.

I feel like I've started a new journey that is both exciting and scary. What will it look like to try to consciously open myself up to the will and mind of God every minute of every day? I know there will be successes and failures, joy and pain, blessings and sacrifices. I am hoping others who are on the same journey will come alongside me and share their adventures, encouraging me on to deeper intimacy with Christ, baby-step by baby-step.

3 comments:

Mrs. said...

Greta, this is a beautiful adventure! Phoebe and I have been praying together while she nurses...with one child there isn't much to do while nursing, so we have taken to praying. We will be praying for you and your family.

peace and love

kate said...

That is so wonderful, Greta. Absolutely wonderful. God bless you and your precious children through all the joys and frustrations and lack of quiet time of each day. :)

The Davis Family said...

Greta, This is profound. Who is Brother Lawrence? Sometimes I wish we had something like this in church, but it's so different here.
~ Cat