Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Today's heresy

In response to iPete, here we go.


I don't really understand all the physics, or exactly what a TOE is, but here's my thinking on how there will be lots of everybody in heaven, (or whatever reality there is after we die). I've been doing the Lectio Divina fairly often lately, and last night I was doing it with my husband using Ephesians 1:11:
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will

The phrase that struck me was "works out everything," and what I sensed was God working like crazy to bring everything back into alignment with his will. It seemed to me that we're constantly throwing things out of whack, and he's constantly maneuvering things to get them back in sync, like billions of times a day, and that's just what God does. And it occurred to me that if we could all just work with God, eventually things would stop getting out of whack. Since I'd been pondering the question posed by iPete, that played into my heart's listening, and I felt God remind me that his will is that "none should perish, but all should come to repentance" (2 Pet 3:9) Which made me think that if God's will is that no one should perish and he's always working to get things in line with his will, then why are we so worried about getting people into heaven? He told us to go make disciples, and if we do that, then a lot more people will be working with God, and perhaps the revolution that Jesus started can finally end.

To conclude, I guess my TOE is that Jesus has salvation covered to his liking, and my job is to work with him to make disciples. At the moment I've got three I'm working on, actually, me makes four, and my husband makes five.

2 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

I like your TOE, and I love your disciples.

(Oh, and nice work catching iPete in using the term 'heaven'. He should know better than that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You know, I really love when you do this! How did you find this person? How cool that you respond! I haven't heard the term Lectio Devina before and it's been a long time since I've prayed that way but thank you for reminding me how special it is!