Sunday, April 27, 2008

Session 6

Let God's gifts wean you away from selfishness and help you to let go of concern over what is yours by right. Desire nothing for yourself--nothing--neither pleasure, spirituality, nor the Kingdom of God, nor that you will be satisfied.


God's gifts wean.

I had the distinct impression that God rejoices each time I make a tiny step towards selflessness, just like parents clap hands at a baby's first mouthful of cereal. Just as a mother chooses and directs a baby's first meals, so God is weaning me from a life of selfishness. It is not my job to go home and stop being selfish but to allow God to wean me from selfishness. This is a task I can do, whereas to just stop being selfish is formidable. It was so encouraging to feel God's pleasure at my desire to take the first steps.

No comments: