Thursday, June 22, 2006

Avoiding

I should be downstairs preparing the biblestudy for tomorrow's women's group that I am leading. But instead I'm up here checking my e-mail, checking Mike's blog to see what's up with my favorite twins, checking Matt and Dawn's blog, and now writing on my own. Doing the biblestudy will be life-giving. We're going through the gospel of Mark and I'm learning a lot. I feel like I'm starving a bit because we were on holiday last week and I didn't open my Bible once. But for me spending time with God is like exercise. When it's done I feel so alive and refreshed, but beforehand I can think of a million other things that would be easier. And when I don't do it for a few days it's a lot harder to get going again. As a follower of Jesus I know that communication with him is key to living the life I want to live. Just like I know that if I eat several bars of chocolate in a day I'm going to gain weight and feel sluggish. But I often avoid the former and do the latter. What a mess I'm in. This flesh is getting me down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't I know how you feel??!!!! For the first time in my life I know what it feels like to feel that sluggish feeling you get from eating badly after eating correctly and exercising regularly. Honestly, what a revelation! And I know from personal experience what you are saying about spending time with God.

Greta, I think you have become my hero!!! I love you and your wonderful little family so much!!

Love,
Mom

kate said...

Well put. i feel like I just received a revelation... Sometimes, a useful metaphor can be just the boost we need. Thanks, doll!