Sunday, June 25, 2006

Totally Organic

I've started ordering these organic vegetable and fruit boxes that are delivered to my door each Thursday. I did this mostly to save wear and tear on my stroller, which was being loaded up well beyond its recommended weight limit each week at the grocery store, but also to challenge myself to eat more "good for you" stuff, and because "organic" is becoming such a catch-word out here that I thought I better join in and keep up my street cred. We've only had two so far, but I don't think I'll ever look back. How did we get to the point as a society that we thought the stuff sold in supermarkets was good? I didn't even realize how awful the stuff I was eating tasted until I dug into this heavenly spread. Carrots that are so sweet and crunchy I will eat them straight from the bag without ranch dressing, apples that aren't shiny and are sweet and juicy, oranges that are succulent, potatoes that have the most amazing flavor. I didn't even know potatoes had flavor before I tried one of these! And I'm also being introduced to new and exciting vegetables that I've never heard of before, such as kohl rabi. Raise your hand if you know what that is! And watercress (I knew what it was, but the challenge is what do I do with a huge bag full?) And gooseberries. It's all very exciting. I've also started getting the organic eggs, which are so full of flavor and have the most beautiful yellow yolks, and organic yogurt, which is creamy and delicious. I'm such a foody, I can't believe I didn't jump on the organic bandwagon before. Flavor, flavor, flavor. I really can taste the difference, and I somehow feel healthier just having the stuff in my house. So now I'm trying to find other things that are organic. I picked up organic baked beans yesterday, and I want to try some organic chickens. We'll see how my wallet copes.

2 comments:

timthewelsh said...

Hey babe, I left my cheeseburger in the microwave last night. Have you seen it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Greta...Mrs. Stauffenberg used to grow kohl rabi in her garden...I've tried the organic cage free eggs and you are so right...there's free range chicken also that has a wonderful flavor. I know that there are additive free meats too but I haven't a clue where to find it in the UK. Try this one for watercress...
www.watercress.co.uk

I think this is so cool that you're doing this!

Love,
Mom